Monday, January 29, 2018



Yesterday I made a batch of homemade hummus.  I had read this obituary on Facebook that morning and it had inspired me to do such.  The obit was for Terry Ward of Crown Point, Indiana.  One of my FB friends had posted it.  I got a good chuckle out of old Terry’s obit and in his memory and honor, I made hummus which his family called “bean dip” to get him to eat it, I suppose.

I love hummus and buy it on occasion, but I really like the homemade stuff.  I looked up a recipe for hummus without tahini, since I didn’t have any on hand.  I found a recipe and followed it but as usual, I changed it around a little bit.

1 can of garbanzo beans drained and washed and allowed to dry
3 cloves of garlic
Juice of one lemon
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp. sesame oil

Whirled those ingredients in the “food processor that wouldn’t die” and when I got out my box of Triscuits with rosemary and olive oil, I found that there were only one and a half crackers left in the box.  I’m sure this was the hubster’s doing.  I’d never leave one and a half crackers.  I ate the hummus on the one and a half crackers and shook the remains onto my hummus.  It was delicious.  I may have to add a bit of rosemary the next time I make hummus.

I would like to thank five people today who enabled me to make the hummus.  Jeff and Diane Scaduto gave me the “food processor that wouldn’t die” and I cannot thank them enough.  I don’t recall how many years I have used this gadget, but I am truly thankful.

I would also like to thank Mike Kelly for giving me a juicer than I have used just about as many times as I have used the “food processor that wouldn’t die”.  I use it for oranges, lemons and limes.

I would also like to say “thank you” to Jeff and Ellie Webb. Ellie and her hubster sent me over two dozen fresh lemons a while back.  I used my big juicer to make juice and I froze it in ice cube trays.  Nothing like a fresh lemon.  And when I can tomatoes next summer I will have REAL lemon juice.

And old Terry Ward’s obituary got me thinking about my own obituary.  I’d like for everyone involved in my life’s celebration to go to my house and cook the contents of my freezer and pantry and have a huge picnic.  As you probably know, I am a food hoarder.  I try my best not to go to the grocery except for what we REALLY need but end up getting more because they had it on sale, or the display was pretty, or I got a free sample and felt I had to buy some.

If you see me around today or tomorrow, keep your distance.  I did use three cloves of garlic in that hummus and I’m sure I reek of it today.


Peace be with you.

PS  thanks to Lorraine Watson who gave me the loveliest rag rug.  You are the best!  Sorry I lost the photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment