Sunday, August 19, 2018




Several years ago I decided to change up the vertical blinds in our bedroom for some shades and curtains.  I had seen some curtains at Target that I thought I would like to have. The hubster was working full time traveling to Chicago two hours there and two hours back home and said he was unable to help me put up the blinds.

I don’t remember how I found this young man to do the job for me.  He said he was an assistant coach at Dakota High School and so I figured he must be a trustworthy individual.  We set a date and he came over and he inspected the windows.

After some time he figured out how to install the blinds and got them up in no time at all.
I asked him how much I owed him, and he told me that his mom had passed away just a short time ago.  He had promised her that he would “pay it forward” as often as he could.  He didn’t charge me anything and wouldn’t accept a tip.

I was so grateful but I couldn’t ask him to install the curtain rods for me for fear he wouldn’t charge me and I’d feel guilty as hell.

I hired a service to install the curtain rods.

I have never forgotten that young man and his kindness.

Recently, I was a at grocery story on a Sunday buying a few things I needed.  I was behind a very well-dressed black couple that had obviously just come from church.  Behind me was another black man.  The man behind nudged the man in front and jokingly said, “Hey, how about buying mine too?”  The man in front laughed and turned away.

When I checked out I grabbed the man’s chicken that was behind me.  I told the clerk that I’d like to purchase this gentleman’s chicken.  I gave him a wink.  I felt so good for the rest of the day.

I’ve often wondered if the guy that I bought the chicken for, told anyone what happened to him that day.  I should have reminded him to “pay it forward.”

And the absolute ultimate pay it forward of them all – be an organ donor.

Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment