Sunday, April 15, 2018




My daughter asks me what is the one thing I wish I had known before I became a parent.  Considering that I didn’t plan on being a parent, I guess I wished I had known what to expect.

Those sad wrinkly little boogers stole my heart and soul.  They cried and I fed them or changed their diaper.  I sang to them and read them books.  I rocked them and nursed them.  They were mine 24/7 and I just had to do whatever it was that needed to be done..

When they were about two and four, I thought I would go insane.  We were down to only one car and once a week I put the girls to bed and dad babysat which I got away for an hour of grocery shopping.  It was the best hour of the week.  I’m pretty sure I drew that hour to more time more than once.

As a child I didn’t get my fair share of playing and so when my girls were little we went to every playground we could find.  Our favorites were Discovery Center and the one that used to be at the corner of Mulford and Guilford in Rockford.  They moved that one someplace and we never did find it again.

We went to the beach or to the pool every day that we could.  We made sailboats and sailed them on the lake.  Swinging on the swings on the playground was one of my favorite things to do.  Once we had a race with old tires that were at the Quarry Park.  We turned them loose from the top of the hill to see how far they would roll.

One year after Election Day I was so sick of seeing election signs that we drove around in the car and pretended that we were capturing enemy flags.  I would assign one of the kids to go get the election sign and the others had to be on the lookout for any enemies.

I cried so hard when they graduated from high school.  One went to Beloit, Wisconsin and the other the next year to Whitewater, Wisconsin.  It felt so lonely in the house without them.

I guess the one thing I wished I had known was how my heart could be broken and healed so many times in my life.  I wish I had cherished more moments of joy with them.

I do get new moments of joy when we skype on Sundays.  They bring me up to date with their lives, and I get to see my precious little grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment