Monday, May 21, 2018




What fascinated me as a child?

I pondered this question for quite some time before I came across the answer.  I was looking at Facebook and saw a reference to Our Lady of Perpetual Astonishment.  That truly describes my childhood.  I was in awe of so many things.  I loved the stars, I loved the sunshine, I loved walking barefoot in the grass.  I loved singing and I loved jumping rope.

Strangers fascinated me as well.  For one thing, I had this stupid accent and everyone around me talked differently, well except for my family, of course.

I loved hearing what my friends had for dinner.  I wanted to know what they got for birthdays and Christmas.

For a child, I loved talk shows on television.  They talked about things so very strange to me.  I watched Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin religiously.  I probably got away with it because Daddy was working, and Mother had housework or gardening to do.

Something that didn’t fascinate me was cartoons.  I wanted to sleep in on Saturdays.  I got up usually in time to watch the Tarzan movie.  I liked Tarzan much better than the Roadrunner or Daffy Duck.

When you grow up in a very strict religious household where almost everything is considered sinful, the world is an amazing place.  I guess because most of it was taboo for me, it made it all the more wonderful.

I was astonished that Daddy would trim our trees back every year and they would come back and continue to grow.  I was astonished that my mom could make just about anything and she never opened a cookbook.

I was astonished at my neighbors, the clerk in the grocery store, my teachers and the students in my classes.

I think I still have that in me.  I have had such a tremendous life and I have done things that I never thought as a child I would do.  I’ve swam beneath the ocean, I’ve flown in a balloon too many times to remember how many.  I’ve learned to make chicken cordon bleu, lasagna, Mu Shu Pork and things I’d never even heard of as a child.

I have a husband who loves me and I have two of the most wonderful daughters ever.  And now I have two son-in-laws that I adore, and a new grandson.

Life is just fascinating!

Peace be with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment