Thursday, July 12, 2018




Well the infamous food processor that wouldn’t die has done it again.  Today I made beet relish.  I chopped up the beets, onion, carrot and green peppers.  The thing is indestructible.  Thank you again Scadutos for the donation.

Beet Relish
4 pounds, beets, cooked and peeled
4 large onions
3 large green peppers
1 Tbsp whole cloves
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ cups vinegar

Grind beets, onions and green peppers.  Tie cloves in cheesecloth bag.  In large kettle combine vegetables, clove bag, sugar, vinegar, ½ cup water and 1 Tbsp salt.   Bring to boil, reduce heat.  Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove clove bag. Ladle into hot jars, leave ½ inch headspace.  Adjust lids.  Process in boiling water bath (half pints) 15 minutes.  Makes 13 half pints.

Now that is what the recipe reads.  I know Diane at the Extension Office would have a hissy fit, but this is how I adjusted the recipe to suit me.  (“That’s not acceptable”, is what Diane would say!)  But I am a cook who does fluctuate with her recipes.  I have threatened to make rabbit tacos or hot dog fried rice before but never have.

I don’t feel badly when I have to substitute because I don’t have a certain ingredient.

I added shredded carrots, a jalapeno pepper and fresh grated ginger.  Instead of water I used the water I cooked the beets in.  I didn’t use whole cloves but instead used ground cloves.  I also sprinkled in a little nutmeg.

It is delicious.

Today I jumped on the bandwagon and made kale chips.  I seasoned with garlic, paprika, onion powder and chili pepper.  I sprinkled with pink salt when they were finished.  I hated them!  They tasted burned and were horrid.  I'll go back to my kale salads.



Peace be with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment