Sunday, November 11, 2018




If I could have a talent, what would it be?

Yesterday, I went to Monroe, Wisconsin with my girlfriend, Lauri.  We went to see A Star Is Born.  I saw the trailer on line and have wanted to see it ever since.  I loved the old one with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristopherson.

Lauri and I arrived early and decided to walk around the square.  We put in a reservation at Pancho and Lefty’s and were told there would be a twenty-minute wait.

We went into Baumgartner’s.  She used the restroom and I looked at cheeses.  They had a piece of Roquefort, but it was like thirty dollars.  I asked the kid behind the counter what cheese sandwich was the most popular.  Unbelievably, muenster was the answer.  Ish and ick.  For those of you not familiar with Baumgartner’s in Monroe, Wisconsin, it is the home of the cheese sandwich.

We sauntered back over to Pancho and Lefty’s but Lauri (Miss absent minded) couldn’t find her glasses or her phone.  She went back to her car and I grabbed us a seat at the bar. We split a bacon bleu cheese burger and guacamole.  We had a short Spotted Cow beer which was on tap and was actually very good.  I don’t usually like Spotted Cow in a bottle.

BTW, if you haven’t been to Monroe to Pancho and Lefty’s you must go.  That bacon bleu cheese burger is the best burger I’ve had in a very long time.  They also have some smoked ribs that look pretty appetizing.  And Korean tacos that sound amazing.

We decided to check out the chocolate shop and I got a piece of chocolate shaped like the state of Wisconsin.  I intended it to be my treat at the movie but forgot it in my purse and didn’t eat it.  Lauri got some chocolate dipped cookies.

We still had a few minutes and went to the ice cream shop and got a small Butter Pecan cone, which was truly delicious.

Finally making it to the movie theater, we got excellent seats as there was no one else in the place.  And it was only $6.50 for the tickets.

And so, the show began.  It was a little slow but as I didn’t have any knowledge of either of the actors, I found it interesting.  A couple of the songs were very nice.  I wasn’t taken by Lady Gaga’s (what kind of name is that?) voice at first.  She has a lovely low range but when she hits the high notes, I think she is kind of creepy.

This guy, Bradley Cooper, is gorgeous!  I read that he practiced for a year and a half to play the guitar for this movie.  He was pretty good.  God, was he hot!

I had heard this story was a tear jerker and knew that from the old movie I had seen in the 70’s.  But when she walked onto the stage with Jackson to sing a song she had written, in front of thousands of people, I cried.  I love to sing in front of people.  I have sung at On the Waterfront in front of a lot of people and it was the absolute thrill of my lifetime.

If I could have one talent it would be to be able to read music and play an instrument, so I could sing along.  In elementary school when they introduced music, my parents decided they couldn’t afford the rental of the instrument.  And so, I missed my chance at learning music.  I can sing and play things by ear but given the sheet music I am at a loss.  In choir, I listened to the part I was to sing and could sing it back easily.

In choir once, I was asked to sing my part.  As I was singing solo my best friend at the time snuck up behind me and pulled my half slip down around my ankles.  I did not sing again until I was in my 30’s.  A group of friends would get together and play guitars and sing and I was encouraged by my good friend, Joe Clark, to sing before the microphone.  I will never be able to thank him enough.

Music is my favorite language.  It brings people together.  It makes people happy.

I am going to a local bar today to hear my friend, Joe Clark, and his new band.  I can’t wait.  Celebrate live music whenever you can.

Peace be with you.  And music too!

No comments:

Post a Comment