Sunday, November 25, 2018




What concerts have you gone to and enjoyed?

The first concert I ever saw was The Temptations.  My boyfriend at the time was going to Xavier University in Cincinnati.  I drove down to Cincy and we attended the concert.  The Temptations were very popular at that time.  When music was real!

The next concert I went to was also in Cincinnati.  My boyfriend took me to see Sly and the Family Stone.  We were in the third row and were surrounded by a sea of black folks.  They stared at us in the beginning but when the music began, we were all up and dancing and singing.  I had to stand on my chair to see the musicians.  I didn’t stand long as it was a folding chair.

I have seen Jethro Tull at least four times that I can remember.  The last time I saw them I realized that Ian Anderson’s voice was going.  I guess that comes with age.

I saw Joni Mitchell in concert in Oxford, Ohio.  It was so wonderful to see her in person.  Every song was amazing.  She played her guitar, dulcimer, piano and some other gadget that I didn’t recognize.  She was at her finest.

Simon and Garfunkel were also an amazing show.  Art Garfunkel sang their new song, Bridge Over Troubled Water and you could have heard a pin drop it was so fantastic.
I was so glad to see Dan Fogelberg.  He died about two years after that concert in Rockford at the Coronado Theater.  The band that played with him were musicians from Spirit.  I guess they all lived close by in Colorado.

A really wonderful concert was James Taylor, again at the Coronado.  He had a picture screen behind him and showed various photos and told stories about the pictures.  He played acoustic guitar and at one point another musician accompanied him.

The Dave Mathews Band concert was a disappointment.  It was on a hill in Wisconsin and the band was about two inches big.  Everyone around sang to every song and we danced also.

I have seen Emerson, Lake and Palmer three times.  The last time was the last really big concert that we saw.  You could smoke in the arena in those days and there were more than just cigarettes burning.  My eyes cried, and my ears were about to burst.  I gave up concerts for quite some time.

I do love the venue at the Coronado and wish they would have more good concerts there.  I’d love to see Cat Stevens (I know that is not his name now and he sings children’s’ songs).  Bonnie Raitt is another musician I’d love to see.  The Barenaked Ladies would also thrill me.

My favorite live band, The Blue Olives, have changed.  They have a new guitar player and I only see them playing in Wisconsin.  I wish they would come back to the Best Dan Bar.

There is just nothing so special to me as live music.  Photo is The Blue Olives.

Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment