Monday, April 13, 2015

This morning’s Zazen was interesting.  I was sitting quietly and my breath had relaxed to the point that there was little noise.  Suddenly it began to rain.  And it began to rain hard.  I imagined being outside in this rain and I realized I could not handle that.  It was pouring.  I lost my concentration and got up from the floor.  I was really relaxed and so I picked up the quilt off the futon.  I lay down and covered myself and got comfy.

The rain was so tranquil and calm.  Of course, being the queen of brain worms I began to think about all the songs about rain.  Listen to the Rhythm of the Falling Rain from my teen years popped into my head.  Then I thought of Listen to the Pouring Rain  by Jose Felliciano.  Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was the next one.  Rain by Breaking Benjamin came into my mind.  Of course, I was singing these songs in my mind.

You and Me and Rain on the Roof haunted me for quite some time.  I had to look it up when I got up later.  The Lovin’ Spoonful did it.

Rain, Rain, Go Away was not one of my favorites.  I have personally always loved the rain.  I like to walk in it.  I like to sit on porches and listen to it pound the roof.

I remember in my first year at college, lying on the bed and looking out the screened window, watching the rain and listening to A Rainy Night in Georgia.  Thank you Benton Brook.

And thank Sting for After the Rain has Fallen.  Cold Rain by Crosby, Still and Nash is one of my all- time favorite songs.  As is The Ashes the Rain and I by James Gang.
I had to surf Rain in I Tunes and Rainbow came up.  I had to play Stone Cold because it is stuck a kick ass song.  Not about rain but rain in the band’s name.  Queen of brain worm, Princess of digression.

Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall – Ella Fitzgerald
Singin’ in The Rain – Gene Kelly
Early Mornin’ Rain – Gordon Lightfoot
Who’ll Stop the Rain and Have you Ever Seen the Rain – CCR
Rainy Days and Mondays – the Carpenters
Listen to the Rhythm of the Falling Rain – Ricky Nelson
Purple Rain – Prince or &$@^
No Rain – Blind Melon
The Rain Song – Led Zeppelin
Rainy Day Women – Bob Dylan
Here Comes the Rain Again – Eurythmics
November Rain – Guns & Roses
I Wish It Would Rain – the Temptations
Let it Rain – Eric Clapton
Rain on Me – The Who
Fire and Rain – James Taylor

You know, as I look back on this list I think a few of these song were plays on the word “reign”?  What do you think?

If you know any other good rain songs, please let me know.  I’m just glad I’m not collecting snow songs any longer.



We have this thing for goofyass socks in this family.  Aren't these to die for.

No comments:

Post a Comment