Thursday, November 20, 2014

I remember when I was about ten years old, thinking that the best time of my life was before I grew these stupid breasts and started having these dumb periods.  Then when I was around 21 I thought the best part of my life was when I was a teenager and was free to have fun all the time instead of having to work.

When the children were small I thought the best part of my life was before I had them and didn’t have to be on guard 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  When the girls were grown and gone, I knew the best part of my life was taking care of them, and doing things and having fun.

Now that I am in my retirement I think I realize that the best part of my life is each day.  I am still healthy, can walk, read, type, and best of all, garden.  Each day is filled with adventure.  I wake up with a new cramp or ache and I get through that.  But seriously, the sky seems bluer, the clouds puffier.

Swimming has always been a joy for me but some days being outside in the clean air and sunshine almost seems bliss.  I love the sound of birds singing, that far away truck downshifting, hearing the neighborhood kids playing and laughing.  And I really like gardening with my ipod.  I find myself singing sometimes and wonder if the neighbors think I’m nuts.  I just unhook one bud and sing the song aloud.  The heck with what anyone thinks.  At this moment in time, I am very happy and no one is going to interfere with that.


Grasp that moment.  Choke every ounce of happiness out of it.  Fill yourself with the joy of the moment and cling to it if any unhappiness comes your way.

Carpe diem.  Even this stupid early winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment