Monday, January 4, 2016

Today is the last day of holiday vacation for most people.  I read on Facebook all these postings about not wanting to go back to work, hating Mondays and having to face being an adult.  It breaks my heart to see so many people, and especially because they are my “friends”, so very unhappy.

I tried to teach my girls that when they grew up to make sure they chose a job that they would love because then they would be happy in their personal life and in their career.  I think they both have chosen well.

When my girls were in high school they read about a mother who was so nurturing that her kids called her “Smother”, hence my nickname.

I was very lucky to be a stay-at-home mother for many years.  I did work here and there while doing such.  I was Kelly Temp for many, many years and I tried on many hats to find exactly what I wanted to do.  I have been a word processor, telephone operator, librarian, television advertisement clerk, dental assistant, legal secretary, junior executive secretary, school secretary, newspaper writer and photographer, and many others too numerous to go on.  Of all of these jobs I liked singing with a rock and roll band the most but that is, of course, beyond my reach now at 65.

In the end I chose secretary for a very small school.  I loved “smothering” the students and teachers.  I enjoyed doing things for others whom I cared for.  I loved being able to help a stressed teacher just by taking a load of copying out of her hands.  Helping the students was certainly a pleasure.  One forgot his lunch, one forgot their homework, another just needed someone to listen while they ranted on how much they hated their life.  I enjoyed bringing snacks in and sharing them.  I loved cooking the lunch for the teacher’s appreciation week.  I got a little thrill when I gave a small gift to a child because I knew they would love it.

My job was not chosen for the monetary reward I was given, but for the spiritual uplifting in each and every act involved.  I loved my job for nine full years.  The last two years were hell.  I hated my new office, most of my favorite teachers had left to go to other schools, there was unrest among the staff and students.  I knew it was time to move on. 

When someone asked how old I would be at my next birthday, I replied “62”.  “Why don’t you retire?”  I looked into it and I would be making as much money not working as working and so I made my decision.

I have been retired for two and a half years now and I could not be happier.  (Well I guess if the house was paid off and I had maid service twice a month…)  I am enjoying my new career as a retired person.  I am making the most of it.  I exercise, meditate, cook and bake whenever I want to, walk the dog, sleep in, stay up all night.  It is a great life.  Thank you very much.



Front Porch Jam (when I was a rock star.)

No comments:

Post a Comment