Friday, January 1, 2016

The beginning of a new year is not as exciting for me as it was when I was younger.  I am now 65 and each New Year brings me closer to the golden years of my life.  Not that I dread them but I guess it beats the alternative.  I have been retired for three years now and I must say that I have had more adventures in these three years than I have had in many, many years.

I can remember when I was a child and tried to stay up until midnight.  I usually fell asleep on the floor in front of the fireplace.   I rarely saw the ball fall.

As a teenager I did attend slumber parties at friends’ houses and managed to stay up until midnight.  At which time most of us fell into our slumber.

Adulthood brought all night partying to a crescendo.  We not only made it to midnight but usually saw the sun rise.  We had New Year’s Eve parties at our place for about 15 years straight.  We had about 30 plus guests most of whom brought their guitars and tambourines.  We whistled in the New Year and continued on our pursuit of playing, “just one more song.”

I’m sure my children hated us at this time of our lives.  Upstairs trying to sleep with someone singing and playing, “Jet Plane”.  When they got older they found other friend’s houses to visit on that special evening.

Nowadays, we just watch Netflix for a while, go to bed around 7:30 and read for an hour or two, and quietly go to sleep and forget about the breaking of a new year.

Last year I promised myself that number one, I would do my yoga, Pilates, Qi Gong faithfully and I carried out that promise.  I lost about seven pound of body fat and am pretty happy with myself.  I also promised myself that I would grow fingernails.  This to most of you is stupid but when you have never had nice fingernails it mean a lot.  I ordered myself some Horsetail vitamins and have taken them throughout the year.

For Christmas this year, I got a manicure at Changing Trendz Hair Salon at Best Road and route 75 on Friday, Dec. 18.  They made it until Monday the 28th when I finally had to clean them off and let them air for a day.  I polished them on Wednesday and they still look pretty good.  It pays to get it done professionally.  Thank you Sheila.

My resolutions for this year and to continue my exercise and nail maintenance.  I also want to organize some things in the house and get rid of some unwanted “stuff”.

I plan to finish my “Vision Board” that I started last year.  My visions for myself include getting rid of more debt, downsizing the household, having another vacation in Jamaica, and staying close to my girlfriends.  Also writing more for my blog and for me.

My wish for my friends in this New Year is contentment, health, optimism and new leadership in our country that will lead to peace on Earth.


Namaste.

BTW, it is hard to take a picture of your hand especially if you are right handed and you broke one of the nails on your left hand and don't want a photo of that.  I snapped it back a the airport digging in my bag.  The pain of it!!!  And yes, I have arthritis in my pointer finger but it doesn't really hurt that badly.  It just makes handwriting a little burdensome.  Reason why your pen pals of mine don't get hand written letters any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment