Sunday, August 9, 2015



Fattoush Salad

The first day of cucumber season I picked one that was quite small.  I just couldn’t wait any longer to eat a fresh cucumber.  My cucumbers are so sweet and delicious if I have to say so myself.  I used to take them to school with me and share but no more.  Being retired I have to share with my neighbors.

I have shared six with my neighbor across the street, two with the neighbor down the hill and two with friend, Garnet, who coincidentally lived where the neighbor down the hill lives now.  The neighbor across the street declined a free cucumber yesterday.

I have eaten my fill of cucumbers and have about eight more on the vine getting close to fruition.

My favorite use for the cucumber is Fattoush Salad.  It is a Mediterranean dish and very easy to make.  If you love, cucumber, lemon and garlic, you must make it.  I got this recipe off the internet and adjusted it to my ingredients.  It called for sumac but I don’t have sumac.  (I know I have everything else, why not sumac?)  I never found the need for it until this recipe.  I may have to find some and try it.

INGREDIENTS
·      1 pita bread
·      Olive oil
·      1 head  lettuce, broken
·      1 cucumber, sliced
·      1 tomatoes, chopped
·      Sliced red onion
·      1 tsp chopped fresh mint leaves, stems removed

Lemon-vinaigrette
·      Juice of 1 lemon
·      ¼  cup olive oil
·      Salt and pepper
·      1 tsp chopped mint leaves
·      2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
INSTRUCTIONS

Mix the salad dressing first so the flavors meld.

Break up enough lettuce and put into bowl.    And people, don’t cut lettuce -- it ruins it and it turns brown. Top with other ingredients.  You can break up the bread but I cut mine into wedges.

Another interesting thing is that I get my mint from the neighbor down the hill who lives where Garnet used to.  He grows the stuff in his front yard and it is delicious.  I go steal it whenever I need it.  He usually catches me in the act.


1 comment:

  1. I love Mediterranean salads like this one, but rarely order them because I cannot eat raw onion - especially red onion - without getting onion breath FOR DAYS. Literally, for days. It must be a genetic thing, because my mom and my aunt are the same way. Even just a bite or two, and our mouths reek of onion for a minimum of 72 hours. Even green onion! So when I make dishes that call for raw onion, I either omit or saute. And when I order food with raw onion in it, I pick it out, and feel like a 5 year old.

    ReplyDelete