Friday, January 30, 2015

Last night I began to read Helen Keller's autobiography, The Story of My Life.  It was so inspiring to read about her realization of things that have words.  She must have been so very brilliant.  I can't imagine life without sight let alone not be able to hear either.  It must have been to her advantage to have already experienced both of these senses.

One thing I did read last night truly made me contemplative.  She writes in Chapter 20, that she was envious of the other students around her who could read an entire book in one setting, when it took her days to read and comprehend, and then to write notes about what she had read.  She had to make notes so her teachers would know that she truly read and understood what she read.

She writes, "For, after all, every one who wishes to gain true knowledge must climb the Hill Difficulty alone, and since there is not royal road to the summit, I must zigzag, it in my own way.  I slip back many times, I fail, I stand still, I run against the edge of hidden obstacles, I lose my temper and find it again and keep it better; I trudge on, I gain a little, I feel encouraged, I get more eager and climb higher and begin to see the widening horizon. Every struggle is a victory."

Isn't this so true in each of our lives, whether we are handicapped or not?  To appreciate what we have done, what we have and to live the happiness with that victory fully.

In my life, taking on a blog was a big decision for me.  I have had a writer's block for several years and have not been able to sit down and write short stories, poems or songs.  And yet I find myself, sitting down to this little arena every day and my hands just fly with the thoughts going through my mind.  And it is a victory for me.  If no one reads my blog, I am still victorious. (For myself.)

And on those days when nothing comes to my typing fingers, I pull up something from the past and share that.  Another victory for me.


Another small victory for me -- I grew a cabbage as big as my head.

Go forth and claim small victories each day.


No comments:

Post a Comment