Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Food cravings are not new to me.  I love to eat and I eat quite well.  I cook, the hubster cooks, and when the girls were here, they cooked too.  When we were young and childless, the hubster and I would go out to eat almost every night.  If I ate something that I liked I tried to learn to cook it.

My repertoire includes chicken cacciatore (than you Aunt Lura), lasagna, Mu Shu Pork, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Chicken Kiev, and so many other things too numerous to mention.  The hubster also has his specialties.  His beef stroganoff is to die for.  Anything he grills is magic but his piece de resistance is his fish tacos.

I almost gagged the first time I heard of fish tacos.  Then I wound up in Arizona at Filiberto’s and my friend encouraged me to try one.  I do believe I had a second one.  They were not what I had expected.  I guess I thought ground fish meat with lettuce and cheese with salsa. 

Fish tacos are not that.  They are a lovely piece of fish deep fried crispy with delicious tartar sauce made of sour cream, mayonnaise, and seasoned with cilantro and jalapeno, served on a tortilla with raw cabbage.  Add a little tomato salsa and you have heaven on earth.

We watched someone on the food network make fish tacos and the hubster decided he could do this.  We concocted all the ingredients, got the old wok out and began making fish tacos.  The secret of the taco was that when you grill your tortilla sprinkle it generously with cumin.  The smell alone brings tears to the eye.

We have this spice cabinet from Hell in our house.  I grow my own herbs and have them everywhere and use them all the time.  I have so many spices that I have to house them in two cupboards, one pantry and one LARGE spice rack.

It is when I open the spice cabinet from Hell that I need a fish taco.  The smell of cumin is overwhelming.  My mouth is watering just thinking of it.

Fish tacos are a lot of preparation work.  And the person making them gives them away so he can make another one.  That is so you get them hot and fresh.  The hubster is the last one to sit down and enjoy.  We don’t make them often and I haven’t found any place in the area that makes fish tacos like the hubster makes them.


I may just have to announce to him that I MUST have a fish taco.


No comments:

Post a Comment